Thursday, August 13, 2009

Current Updates

Hey Everyone!

I've now been in Philly for about 3 weeks and it feels like such a whirlwind! The first two weeks I was here I attended a training session with all of the other new Response-Ability teachers. (If I have not explained this program to you, visit www.ravolunteers.org to find out more). It was basically a crash course to teach us how to do classroom management, lesson plans, and dealing with everything that goes along with being a teacher. I had mountains of information thrown at me, but I feel much more prepared for the upcoming year. I was also able to connect with many veteran teachers in the Philadelphia area who are ready and willing to be resources for me. I feel very supported and am excited to get going!

Another exciting piece of information is that I officially got placed at a school! I will be teaching 4th grade at Visitation Catholic Elementary in Philadelphia. We don't start school until September 10th, so I have about a month to plan and prepare which is a huge blessing. Visitation is pretty big for a private school so there are two classes for every grade level. The other 4th grade teacher and I split the four main subject areas (math, science, religion, and social studies) so our students will switch rooms for the other two areas. It sounds like I will be teaching math and social studies to both classes and then Language Arts to my homeroom class. Next week is full of new teacher orientation meetings and I will also begin setting up my classroom and continuing lesson plans!

Thank you all so much for your prayers and support. Here are some more prayer requests:

1. That God would provide me with a church and a Bible study group.
2. That God would prepare my students for this upcoming year and give me a heart of compassion as I work with children of poverty.
3. That Christians around the world would be attentive to the will of God and seek to give Him glory in all we do!

2 comments:

  1. sounds awesome!! that's so nice that you don't start til september! when do you get out for the year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could fill a small novel with my intrepid 4th grade adventures.

    THIS makes sense in the light of eternity.

    I'll pray

    ReplyDelete